Freshman and Transfer Admission Requirements
- Application for Admission.
Applications for admissions must be submitted to MSU-Northern. Deadline for application is July 1st for Fall Semester, November 1st for Spring Semester, and April 1st for Summer Semester.
- Application Fee.
A US$30 non-refundable fee is required at the time of application. Checks or Money Orders must be made payable to Montana State University-Northern. If the applicant is admitted but does not register, the $30 application fee is valid for the subsequent twelve months.
- Supplemental Application.
The Supplemental Application form Admission must be submitted to MSU-Northern, Admissions Office, PO Box 7751, Havre, MT 59501 or emailed to email@example.com.
- Statement of Financial Support.
A statement of financial support from a bank or financial institution regarding funds of a financial sponsor, the student or the parent. The statement must verify financial support available to the applicant in US Dollars based on current year cost of attendance budget, for each year of attendance. Contact the Admissions Office for current year cost of attendance budget for international students at 1-800-662-6132, extension 3704.
- English Language Proficiency.
An official TOEFL score report of 63 iBT or 475 PBT for undergraduate, 66 iBT or 500 for graduate admission. For more information contact TOEFL Services at https://www.ets.org/toefl.html
Successful completion of an English as a Second Language Program.
On a case by case basis, college courses taken in the United States displaying sufficient English proficiency will be accepted in place of TOEFL scores or completion of an ESL program.
Certificates of completion with official grades from other English language programs or institutes may be considered as satisfying the English language requirement. TOEFL scores or transcripts for ELS programs must be sent directly from the Educational Testing Services (ETS) or Language Institute attended to the Montana State University-Northern Admissions Office.
- Educational Credentials.
International students must meet the equivalent of out-of-state admission requirements for the appropriate category of freshman, transfer, or graduate student. Official/certified transcripts and marks are required from all secondary and college or university education completed.
- Freshmen must submit official secondary transcripts posting date of completion and must include an English translation. Certified true copies of original transcripts are acceptable.
- Transfer Students must request official transcripts from each international or U.S. post-secondary institution attended, directly from the institution(s) to MSU-Northern.
- All transcripts of academic work undertaken outside of the U.S. or in non-English speaking Canada must be submitted to World Education Services (WES) for evaluation of foreign educational credentials. For further information contact: World Education Services, PO Box 745, Old Chelsea Station, New York, NY 10113-0745 or visit https://www.wes.org.
- Immunization Records.
Non US Citizens must show a physician validated immunization records showing:
- Proof of two vaccinations against measles and one against rubella. Immunizations must have been given after 1967 and after the student's first birthday and must have been administered at least thirty days apart. Current immunizations must have been administered in the form of the MMR vaccine.
- Diphtheria-Tetanus (DT or Td),
- Skin testing for Tuberculosis that was completed within one year of the planned attendance date.
This evidence must be presented before a student is permitted to register.
Notification of Admission
Applicants are reviewed for admission when all required final and official credentials have been received at the Office of International Programs. Successful candidates will promptly be issued a letter of acceptance and an I-20 form necessary for obtaining an F-1 student visa. A packet of information regarding orientation, the registration process, and other important information will follow directly in a separate mailing.