Welcome to Traffic Education
MSU-NORTHERN IS CURRENTLY ASSESSING THE DELIVERY METHOD FOR THE COURSE TED 462/562
METHODS OF BEHIND-THE-WHEEL INSTRUCTION. PLEASE CONTINUE TO CHECK BACK FOR AN UPDATE
REGARDING THIS COURSE.
Thank you for your interest in the Traffic Education Minor/Endorsement offered through MSU-Northern. MSU-Northern is the only institution in Montana that offers a Traffic Education minor/endorsement providing training for students planning to become qualified driving instructors. The minor/endorsement is achieved after the completion of 20 credits (12 required, 8 elective). Students become approved to teach traffic education after completing the initial 8-credit coursework. Please view the Program Sheet for course requirements.
Pre-registration for summer courses begins March 23. Follow the steps below to complete the admissions and registration process. A detailed checklist is available for you to follow under the right sidebar. Please contact MSU-Northern at (406) 265-4148 with any questions.
Admissions & Registration Checklist
Apply for Admission
- New Students, Apply Online or download, complete, and submit an Application for Admission.
- Returning Students, complete an Application for Re-admission.
Register for Classes
- Review the Traffic Education Summer Course Schedule and select your courses for Summer Session.
- Download, complete, and submit a Class Registration Form.
Apply for Financial Aid
- Go to Financial Aid or call (406) 265-3787. Students enrolling in 6 or more credits may be eligible for financial aid.
- Download, complete, and submit a Student Confirmation and Payment Agreement.
Apply for Residence Hall Housing
- Download, complete, and submit a Residence Hall Application.
- Go to the MSU-Northern Bookstore or call (406) 265-3728.
Log Into Brightspace for Online Courses
- Go to Brightspace or call the Office of Teaching and Learning Excellence for technical support at (406) 265-3701 or (406) 265-3767.
Submit all materials to MSU-Northern
- Mail to MSU-Northern Continuing Education, P.O. Box 7751, Havre, MT 59501
- Fax to (406) 265-3570
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
What You Need to Know
About Traffic Education
The 20-credit Traffic Education Minor/Endorsement requires the following:
- An acceptable driving record and valid driver license.
- A current and active Montana educator license.
- 10 of the 20 credits earned must be MSU-Northern credits.
- At least 8 credits of the required initial coursework must be completed before you begin teaching traffic education.
The initial 8 credits are offered each summer and the dates for 2020 Summer are as follows:
TED 465 Motor Vehicle Law
2 credits; May 11 - June 12 ONLINE
TED 461 Methods of Traffic Safety Education
3 credits; June 1 - June 26 ONLINE
TED 462 Methods of Behind-the-Wheel Instruction
3 credits; June 15 through June 19 AND
June 22 through June 26 in HAVRE
The time schedule for the 8 credits allows you to teach Traffic Education starting the second week in July if all requirements are met and you successfully complete the coursework. You then need to continue working at the rate of 4 semester credits per 5-year renewal cycle of your educator license until you obtain the full traffic education endorsement. See Steps to Receive Traffic Education Approval & Endorsement.
After completing the initial coursework (8 credits), you need to apply to the Office of Public Instruction by completing the TE05 Application for Approval as a Teacher of Traffic Education. The Traffic Education Office at OPI will check to see that you have a valid educator license and a valid driver license, and that you have a driver record free of disqualifying citations. You are allowed no more than one moving violation in any 12-month period of the previous 36 months...and no DUI in the previous 3 years, or other serious infraction.
Additional information regarding the Traffic Education Endorsement is available online at the Montana Office of Public Instruction's website, https://opi.mt.gov/Families-Students/Family-Student-Support/Driver-Education.