How to Apply
Create an FSA ID at StudentAid.gov. This will be your login into the FAFSA. *If you are a dependent student, your parents should also create an FSA ID as they will need to sign your FAFSA, as well.
Apply online for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at StudentAid.gov.
- Indicate MSU-Northern’s school code #002533 in the school release section of the application. Don’t forget to send your signed signature page to the Financial Aid office, if you did not sign electronically with your FSA ID!
The processor sends information electronically to schools listed on the FAFSA and sends a Student Aid Report (SAR) to you.
- After completing the FAFSA online, you will receive a Student Aid Report notification, in about 3-5 days. The Financial Aid Office receives this document electronically.
Complete the 2022-2023 Student Data Form (for Fall 2022, Spring 2023, Summer 2023) OR the 2023-2024 Student Data Form (for Fall 2023, Spring 2024, Summer 2024) in full!
If you were picked for Verification by the Federal Processor (you will find this information on your Student Aid Report) you will need to do the following:
- Refer to the Financial Aid tab on MyInfo to view missing requirements.
Send all requested documents to MSUN for processing.
MSUN notifies you of your eligibility in the form of a Financial Aid offer packet.
- New students will receive a paper copy in the mail and a notification to view their Electronic Financial Aid offer through MyInfo.
- Continuing students will receive a notification to view their Electronic Financial Aid offer through MyInfo.
You will then accept or decline the offered aid.
- New students will need to either return a signed paper copy to the MSUN financial aid office or complete the Electronic Financial Aid offer via MyInfo.
- Continuing students will need to complete the Electronic Financial Aid offer.
Please Note: There are some additional steps in the process when applying for any of the Federal Direct Loan Programs (Federal Direct Subsidized, Federal Direct Unsubsidized, and Federal Direct Parent PLUS). Specific information will be included with your financial aid offer.