Admissions Checklist

Our admissions checklist is designed to streamline your way into Northern.  Please follow each step to ensure we process your application in a timely manner.  After you are admitted, don't forget to follow through on your financial aid and housing applications, attend new student orientation, and register for classes!  If you have any questions or need help, call or email our office.

New students may apply for admissions at any time without all the necessary required materials. Applicants will be notified of missing or incomplete documents needed to complete the admissions process.

All Applicants:

  • COMPLETED Application for Admission
  • Proof of Immunization against measles, mumps and rubella for students born after January 1, 1957 (Montana State Law requires proof of two separate measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) shots, taken at least 1 month apart)

First-Time Freshman Applicants:

  • High school transcript with a graduation date posted
  • ACT or SAT scores for students who graduated from high school less than three years ago and are pursuing a Bachelor Degree (not required)
  • The Montana Board of Regents of Higher Education has ended the requirement that students provide ACT or SAT test scores for admission to its campuses. This change is effective immediately and for the foreseeable future. If you have ACT or SAT test scores, please submit them.  These scores can be used in place of a supplemental assessment administered through MSU to determine math and English placement. 

    (for information on ACT & SAT tests, finding testing centers and more, visit the ACT and SAT websites)

GED or HiSet Applicants:

  • GED or HiSet scores
  • ACT or SAT scores (if you are under the age of twenty-one and pursuing a Bachelor Degree)

In order to be in compliance with Montana state law, students born on or after January 1, 1957 who are taking seven or more credits OR are enrolled in a degree program must either:

Show proof of two vaccinations against measles and one against rubella. Immunizations must have been given after 1967 and after the student's first birthday and must have been administered at least thirty days apart. Current immunizations must have been administered in the form of the MMR vaccine. Immunizations must be documented by a physician, registered nurse or school official.


Show documentation of having contracted measles and rubella. Documentation by a physician is required including dates of illness.


File a medical or religious exemption.

International students have additional immunization requirements. Please refer to the section INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS.

First Time Students: You will need to send us official copies of your high school transcripts to the Admissions Office. If you are still in school, we accept unofficial transcripts with your initial application and do not expect your final transcripts until after you graduate.

Transfer Students: You must insure that a complete and official transcript from each college and/or university or other post-secondary institutions attended is mailed to the Admissions Office. The student must submit official transcripts from ALL regionally accredited institutions attended, whether or not credit was earned. A transcript will be accepted as official only when sent directly from the Registrar of the previous institution(s) attended to the Admissions Office at Montana State University-Northern. For more information about transferring credits, please see the detailed Transfer Student Admissions webpage.

Orientation will help you learn everything you need to know to be successful at Northern.  Join us to build life-long friendships and have a ton of fun.  Sign-up now!