Are you motivated to serve and lead the MSUN student body?
If so, complete a Resident Assistant (RA) Application!
Applications received first will be given preference,
but applications will be accepted until all positions are filled.
There is no better opportunity to make a difference at MSU-Northern than by serving as a RESIDENT ASSISTANT!
- Construct a living environment that is healthy, safe, and fun
- Empower other students achieve their goals
- Create a welcoming community for everyone
- Develop and promote educational and social programming
- Grow your leadership skills and knowledge about campus life
POSITION DESCRIPTION FOR RESIDENT ASSISTANT (RA)
The Resident Assistant is the live-in person responsible for a floor of a residence hall consisting of 23 to 34 students. They engage in all phases of the residential living experience with direction from the Assistant Dean/Director of Residence Life, and are responsible for their floor community. The Resident Assistant serves as a liaison between the University administration and the residents of the hall; fosters an atmosphere for academic, social, cultural, and emotional growth in the residence hall by serving as an advisor to the residents; assists in the enforcement of all University and hall policies; is responsible for the general wellbeing, community development and a student learning environment in the residence hall. This position is 20 hours per week.
RAs earn an on-campus room and meal plan.
- Develop and promote wellness programs for hall residents as outlined by the Assistant Dean/Director of Residence Life.
- Develop a sense of community and inclusiveness among all the residents of the floor.
- Promote social programs and activities.
- Assist the Director of Residence Life in recruitment of residents to the Residence Hall Association.
- Assist students with concerns during desk hours and duty nights.
- Become familiar with campus resources and ability to refer students to appropriate University personnel and resources as needed.
- Help residents develop individual respect for one another, as well as, respect for personal and University property and University policies.
- Be aware of transition issues new students experience and attitudes and behavioral patterns of residents.
- Assist residents in becoming a part of the community, both in the residence hall, as well as at MSUN.
- Provide excellent customer service while working with residents, both at the desk and in day-to-day interactions.
- Communicate student concerns with the Resident Director and/or Director of Residence Life.
- Complete four office hours on your floor each week.
- Participate in all weekly staff meetings, trainings, and in-service meetings.
- Work 4-6 hours per week at a residence hall desk to assist in general desk operations and assigned administrative tasks.
- Be available to assist in covering desk hours on weekends and/or holidays.
- Assist with room checks and Health & Safety Inspection each semester.
- Answer the phone and general questions at the desk from residents and guests.
- Assist residents when locked out.
- Check out equipment to residents from the front desk.
- Complete all required logs at the front desk.
- Maintain confidentiality of student information in accordance with Residence Life and FERPA policies.
- Participate in the recruitment and selection processes for Resident Assistants.
- Complete program proposals, evaluations, and intentional interactions tracking requirements as outlined by the Resident Director and/or Director of Resident Life.
- Reflect positive behavior and follow all MSUN Student Code of Conduct requirements, Residence Life policies and State and Federal Laws both on and off campus.
- Report all Student Conduct Code violations and concerning behaviors through the Maxient conduct system.
- Report concerns about residents using CARE Reports.
- Perform the "RA on Duty" function by conducting rounds of the community and addressing any concerns.
- Report to Title IX Coordinator any possible Title IX or MSUN Policy 1001.7 violations.
- Complete the Duty Log for each set of rounds completed while on duty.
- Attend and actively participate in all departmental training
• Assist with all hall openings and closings at breaks and the beginning and end of
- RAs will be required to return to campus in early August, three weeks before the first day of classes to participate in two weeks of student staff training and assist in opening the halls.
- RAs will be required to return to campus in January one week before the first day of classes to participate in student staff training and hall opening.
- RAs are required to stay on campus for one major break period (either Thanksgiving or Spring Break). Break assignments will be finalized early in the Fall semester to ensure equal staff coverage.
- RAs are required to stay on campus up to three days after the end of each semester to help check students out and close the building.
- Must be a full-time student (12-18 undergraduate credits, 9-12 graduate credits)
- 2.5 GPA (Cumulative and semester GPAs will be verified during the hiring process)
- Must be in good conduct standing with the university
- Ability to prioritize RA position over all other non-academic activities
- Interest in working with people
20 HOUR/WEEK BREAKDOWN
|Community Development (office hrs/other programming)||
|1:1 w/ Resident Director &/or Student Life Coordinator||.5|
|Weekly Staff Meeting||2|
Applications for this incredible opportunity are available at the Student Union Building
Information Desk or at the link below.
Completed applications received first will be given preference, but applications will be accepted until all positions are filled. Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org.