Applying for Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) Benefits

 Step 1:

All veterans planning to receive education benefits need to apply for benefits online. This can be done at Follow the next steps to start applying for the education benefits.

  1. Select "Apply Online"
    Click to see screen shot  Screen shot
  2. Read through the page until you get to "How do I apply?". Click on the "Find your Education Benefits Form" Button and answer the questions that follow. Then click apply now.
    Click to see screen shot  Screen shot
  3. Read through the Instructions on the application you will be filing out and then click on "Start the Education Application" button.
    Click to see screen shot  Screen shot
  4. Follow directions until finished!
  5. When the application is submitted and you have checked it to ensure accuracy and print the confirmation page. Ensure that you get a copy of the confirmation page to the Veteran Certifying Official and keep a copy for your records.

 Step 2:

After the successful completion of the online application you will need to fill out an Information Sheet, copies of DD-214’s and NOBE’s if available, and return it to MSU-Northern Office of Veteran Services located in Cowan Hall Room 220 or it can be mailed in at our address located to the left of this page.

*Chapter 33 (The Post 9/11 GI Bill®) will need to include a Certificate of Eligibility and Benefits and Recipient Reporting Responsibilities* 

Step 3:

In order to receive education benefits while enrolled in classes at MSU-Northern, your enrollment must be certified each term by the Certifying Official in the MSU-Northern Office of Veteran Services. You will need to complete an Education Benefits Certification Form EACH Semester to be certified and complete one every time there is a change in enrollment status. You should expect an approximately six week delay from the date of initial certification until the first benefits check arrives. Please turn in the Education Benefits Certification Form each semester as soon as possible, so payments will be made on time.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at