Self-Service Password Reset Portal
NEW September 2018 - MSU-Northern's password reset tool, sometimes referred to as My Profile, has been replaced with a new Self-Service Password Portal.
- Everyone must set up a new user profile before the first time they use the tool. You can set this up anytime without changing your password.
- The new user setup requires configuration of challenge questions and also the choice to set up email and/or text authentication for future use.
Note: You need your MSU-Northern ID number (-12345678) and birthdate (MMDDYYYY, ex:07211996) to verify your identity only during the New User Setup.
What's the same?
- Passwords expire 180 days from the date they are set/reset.
- Passwords can be changed at anytime, waiting for expiration is not required.
If this is your first time using the reset tool, please read instructions below BEFORE going to the portal!
Instructions to get started
New User Setup
- Go to the Password Portal.
- Click Go to Setup Tool button in New User Setup tile.
- Enter your NetID and click Continue.
- Enter your MSU-Northern ID and Date of Birth and click Continue.
- ID example: -12345678
- DOB format example for July 7, 1999: 07jul1999
- Select and configure Authentication method(s)
The methods you set up during New User Setup (challenge questions, email, text) will be available for you to use in the future when you log into the portal.
- 5 challenge questions
You are required to configure 5 challenge questions.
- Email - provide an email address to use to receive a verification code
- Text - provide cell number that can receive a verification code
NOTE: You only need to set up one authentication method. But you are required to set up challenge questions (you'll be prompted).
TIP: Use the SKIP button to pass over options you don't want to setup. But you can always
update your profile later to add or update your options (see image below)
Continue to Password Reset when you have completed setting up your user profile.