College of Arts, Sciences & Education
Health and Physical Education (K-12) Program
Motivate Students to Become Physically Active and Help Solve a Growing Societal Problem.
Pursue a BSEd Health and P.E. degree from Montana State University-Northern, and prepare to make a difference in the lives of students from kindergarten to 12th grade. The P.E. Teacher education program helps you develop the skills you need to get kids moving in school.
- Be prepared for an increasing demand for individuals with a P.E. teacher degree as the focus on children's health continues to grow.
- Earn your health teacher certification and be ready to put your college degree to work in elementary, middle, or high schools in Montana.
- Add the Health and P.E. program as a minor option in your BSEd degree to expand your teaching job opportunities.
The undergraduate Teacher Education Program contains four broad areas of emphasis:
- A comprehensive general education background;
- An in-depth background in one or more academic areas commonly taught in the public schools;
- Professional preparation consisting of on-campus courses and public school practicum's that lead to a recommendation for teacher certification;
- Participation in community and campus wide extra-curricular experiences and/or elective courses that will enhance the prospective teacher's personal development.
BSEd Health and PE Degree: Active Education. Important Message.
As a student majoring in education, you must complete the Professional Education Core required by the College of Education. The professional Education Core is a sequence of classes designed to prepare you to apply your academic training to your interactions with students, parents, colleagues, and administrators in the public schools. Completion of the professional education sequence in P.E. and Health enables students to apply for a Class II Teaching Certificate endorsed in their academic major and minor fields for grades K-12.
- Put your interest in sports, athletics and kinesiology to work in the MSU-Northern PE teacher education program.
- Use your physical education teacher certification to teach kids the fundamentals of sports like swimming, racquetball, golf, running, gymnastics, and more.
Health and PE Faculty: Inspiring Students.
- Train for your Health and P.E. degree with professors who have dedicated years to building effective curriculum.
- Collaborate with fellow students as well as instructors on current education methods in the health and physical education field.
Health and PE Degree Classes
Professional Education Core – Start your BSEd Health and P.E. degree with the core education classes covering curriculum development and classroom management.
Health and Wellness – Learn the most current healthy lifestyle practices in your H.P.E teacher education program at MSU-Northern.
Teaching and Coaching – Choose an emphasis in teaching and coaching as part of your P.E. teacher degree.
Hands-On Experience – Learn on the job when you complete a practicum.
Health and PE Teacher Career Outlook
After you've graduated with a Bachelor of Education Health and Physical Education degree from MSU-Northern, you're qualified for health and P.E. jobs in Montana. The market for HPE teachers stays relatively consistent. With the increasing focus on health and issues related to raising healthy children, the demand for qualified HPE teachers will continue. Many HPE teachers also find employment in coaching or wellness fields.
Health and PE Advisor
Office: Hagener Science Center 218
Phone: (406) 265-4125
Office: Cowan Hall 104 F
Phone: (406) 265-3757