603.1 On-campus Residency
Section 600: Student Affairs
Effective: June 1, 1987
Reviewed: February 2022
Review Date: February 2024
Responsible Party: Dean of Students
All students under 21 years of age who have attempted fewer than 30 credit hours are required to live in University-owned residence hall housing and will be charged for room and board unless they have received an official exemption from the Assistant Dean of Students & Director of Residential Education or designee. Students eligible for exemptions include:
- Married student
- Students living with a dependent(s);
- Students who have completed one full academic year at Montana State University-Northern or at another college or university;*
- Students living at home (in Havre or within a 50-mile radius of Havre) with parent(s) or guardian(s);
- Students enrolled in online-only academic programs;*
- Students registered for less than seven credit hours for each semester of their first year at Montana State University-Northern.*
*Students required to live on-campus who have not applied to live in University-owned residence hall housing and have not received an exception to the on-campus residency requirement will be charged the equivalent of a double room rate and the default meal plan.
Exceptions. Requests for an exemption must be submitted to the Assistant Dean of Students & Director of Residential Education. (Request for Exemption Form)
Appeals. After a decision is made by the Assistant Dean of Students & Director of Residential Education, the process of appeal is as follows: (1) Dean of Students, and (2) Chancellor.