Graduate Student Admission

To be considered for admission to graduate study, an applicant must have been granted a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university. An undergraduate student who is within 16 credits of completion of the baccalaureate degree, and who has at least a 3.00 grade point average over the last 60 credits, may petition the Graduate Council for approval to take up to nine credits of graduate coursework which may apply toward a graduate degree. These credits may not be applied to the student's undergraduate program. Graduate credit earned in this manner will not become a part of the student's permanent record until all requirements for the baccalaureate degree have been met.

Admission to graduate study does not constitute matriculation for degree candidacy. Students who wish to matriculate for advanced degrees must make proper application for the specific degree sought (see Graduate Studies Overview in the current catalog). Information regarding candidacy is available from the Graduate Studies Office.

For all applicants who are applying as Degree-Seeking Students, there are additional admission documents required. Contact the Office of Graduate Studies, 406-265-3735.

How to Apply

  1. Complete an Application for Admission: either Apply Online or download the application and mail it to: Montana State University - Northern · Admissions · P.O. Box 7751 · Havre, MT 59501-7751
  2. A $30 non-refundable application fee, payable to Montana State University-Northern, is required of first-time applicants to Montana State University Northern. If the applicant is admitted but does not register, the $30 application fee is valid for the subsequent twelve months.
  3. One copy of the applicant's official transcript, showing a baccalaureate (or higher) degree must be sent directly to the Graduate Office by the college or university previously attended, if other than Montana State University-Northern. A transcript will be accepted as official only when sent directly from the Registrar of the institution to the Graduate Office at Montana State University-Northern.
  4. Submit proof of Immunization against measles, mumps and rubella for students born after January 1, 1957 (Montana State Law requires proof of two separate measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) shots, taken at least 1 month apart)