COVID-19 Room and Meal Plan Refunds
During the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic the Montana University System’s foremost priority is the safety of our students, faculty, and staff. We recognize there are other issues of importance, financial and otherwise.
Per the Montana Commissioner of Higher Education’s direction, Montana State University has developed a process to issue pro-rated spring semester room & meal plan refunds for students who are no longer living in the residence halls beginning March 23 or after.
Pro-Rated Refund Process:
- Complete a Spring 2020 COVID-19 Pro-Rated Refund Request form
- Residence Life staff will review all requests and follow-up with students as necessary.
- Please note that Residence Life will validate that the student is not living on-campus anymore.
- Wednesday, March 25 - - Pro-Rated refund process announced to students.
- Friday, April 3 @ 5 pm - - Priority Date for refund requests to be submitted.
- Monday, April 6 - Tuesday, April 14 - - Student Accounts and Residence Life review student records and calculate amount of room & meal plan refund for each student.
- Wednesday, April 15 - - Refunds disbursed from Montana State University-Northern for students submitting required information by April 3 @ 5 pm. Refunds requested after the priority date will be processed within 14 days of being received.
Refund Delivery Process:
- All students are encouraged to sign-up for direct deposit to expedite the delivery of any refund amount.
- To sign-up for direct deposit, please visit login to MyInfo and select Electronic Billing and Payment.
- If students do not want direct deposit, they should ensure that their mailing address is updated in MyInfo (personal information tab) to ensure that the refund check is sent to the correct address.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Can I receive a pro-rated refund if I'm not currently living in the residence halls, but my personal belongings are still in the room?
- Yes, you are still eligible to request a pro-rated refund if you are currently living somewhere other than the residence halls, but still have some personal belongings in the residence halls.
2. Do I qualify for a pro-rated refund if I am still living in the residence halls?
- No, the pro-rated refund is only for students who are no longer living in the residence halls.
3. If I move out of the residence halls in April, do I qualify for a pro-rated refund of my Room & Board?
- If you choose to move out of the residence halls between now and the end of the semester, you will become eligible to request a pro-rated refund from the date you moved out to the end of the semester.
4. What happens if I don’t submit my request by Friday, April 3 at 5 pm? Can I request it after that date?
- All requests that are submitted by 5 pm on Friday, April 3 will be processed for payment by Wednesday, April 15. Any request that is submitted after April 3 @ 5 pm will be refunded within 14 days of the request.
5. What date will be used to calculate my pro-rated refund?
- For any student who moved out of the halls over spring break, or did not return to their room after spring break, refunds will be calculated using Monday, March 23, per the Montana Commissioner of Higher Education. The last day of the semester in the refund calculation is May 8. Therefore, 47 days will be refunded, in this example, and the spring semester originally contained 118 days.
- Meal plans will be refunded based on the remaining balance on the plan.
- Any student with a cancellation date after March 23, 2020, will be refunded for the pro-rated portion representing the day after they cancel until the end of the semester.
6. Will I still get a refund if I have an outstanding balance on my student account?
- The amount of the pro-rated refund will be applied toward the balance on your student account or the balance of a deferred payment plan amount. If there is any money left over after being applied to those balances, a refund will be processed and sent to the student.
7. What is the plan to get my personal items out of my residence hall room?
- Please contact Residence Life, 406-265-3561, and they will work with you on how to retrieve your personal belongings.
8. What should I do if I still have my room key?
- Once a student has requested a pro-rated refund, students are asked to mail their room key back to the Residence Life Office by Friday, May 1, 2020. The mailing address is: Residence Life, MSU-Northern, PO Box 7751, Havre, MT 59501.
- Residence Life