1003.1 Alcoholic Beverages
Section 1000: Campus Policy
Effective: May 10, 1989
Revised: August 2016
Review Date: August 2018
Responsible Party: Chancellor
Consumption of Alcoholic beverages on property belonging to Montana State University-Northern is prohibited except as expressly permitted. Alcoholic beverage means any beverage subject to Montana Alcoholic Beverages Code.
Alcoholic beverages may be possessed and consumed by persons of legal age in their assigned living area, or within another living area where all occupants of that area are of legal age. Living area shall be defined as the unit and does not include public areas.
Authorizations by the Chancellor of Montana State University-Northern for consumption of alcoholic beverages in other college-owned areas shall conform to the following conditions:
- In accordance with campus policy 903.1, all food and beverages for events on-campus must give the Montana State University-Northern Food Service the first right of refusal.
- Consumption shall be in connection with a substantive event, such as a banquet, official entertainment, reception, etc.
- Non-alcoholic beverages are required where beverages are served.
- The event shall not be scheduled prior to 3:00 P.M. on a class day.
- The event shall be monitored to prevent consumption by a person not of legal age. Host ushers, of age, must be utilized to monitor the event. The names of the host ushers will be provided on the Alcohol Request Form.
- If a student group is sponsoring an event at which alcohol will be served, such group must be officially recognized by ASMSUN, and the advisor for the student group is required to be present during the entire event.
- The sponsoring group is responsible for following all relevant campus, local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- All bartenders and ID checkers must be provided by the licensed vendor serving alcohol at the event.
- Sponsoring organizations are reminded that: 1) no alcoholic beverages may leave the event area; 2) no containers may be brought into the event area; 3) no service of alcoholic beverages will be provided to intoxicated individuals; 4) no service of alcoholic beverages will be provided to persons under legal drinking age.
- Please see our Alcoholic Beverage Service Procedures for more information.
MUS Policy and Procedures Manual: Policy 503.1 Alcoholic Beverages;
MSU-Northern Administrative Policy & Procedures Manual: Policy 903.1 University Property and Facilities Rental