Graphic Design Degree
Build the Skills to Pursue Creativity as a Profession
The Montana State University-Northern Graphic Design program integrates traditional visual arts with cutting-edge technology to prepare you as a designer for both print and electronic media. With innovative professors and a diverse range of courses, the graphic and web design programs provides an opportunity to merge creativity with practical application.
- Earn a bachelor's degree in graphic design and gain valuable skills and experience that will give you an advantage with employers.
- Study in a graphic design program that prepares you to work in a growing and dynamic field.
- Begin with a foundation of drawing, design, and painting courses to build perceptual and visual conception skills in MSU-Northern's graphic design program.
- Experience a broad range of traditional art materials and techniques.
- Assemble a professional portfolio and present it to a faculty panel at the end of the graphic design program. The portfolio serves as a visible demonstration of the student's abilities and as a presentation portfolio for employment purposes after graduation.
- Explore the graphic design field with MSU-N faculty who have a passion for the visual arts.
- Practical application of graphic design and web design begins with instructors who are fully immersed in the techniques and software daily.
Visual arts from the ground up – Build on skills and abilities by integrating typography, illustration, and photography in core graphic design degree courses.
Graphic Design software skills – Learn the programs and applications used in the industry for print and electronic publication.
Web Design – Utilizes a Mac platform and industry-standard software for students to create web banners, websites, and web animations in web design program courses.
Critical Thinking and Design – Work on authentic design projects to refine problem-solving skills and put your knowledge to practice as a junior and senior year graphic design degree student.
Graduates of the MSU-Northern graphic and web design program go on to pursue employment with various organizations and companies, in and outside Montana. Students have had successful careers as technical or scientific illustrators, advertising designers, website designers, product designers, computer graphics designers, and in other creative positions.
A portfolio of work will be assembled by each student as a visible demonstration of skills and abilities, and as a presentation portfolio for employment purposes. Employment possibilities for those receiving a Graphic Design degree would include, but not be limited to desktop publishing designer with a business or nonprofit organization, designer or layout artist with a commercial printer, advertising illustrator, technical illustrator, scientific illustrator, advertising designer, television computer graphics designer, web site designer, and product or package designer.
Office: Pershing Hall 105
Phone: (406) 265-3596
Office: Pershing Hall 203
Phone: (406) 265-3501