Online Learning at MSUN
Where do I find my online courses?
MSU-Northern uses an online learning platform called "Brightspace" for all courses. Brightspace allows students to communicate with their instructors and classmates, view coursework, complete homework, and check grades. Brightspace can be accessed from a web browser on most internet-enabled devices, including laptops, Chromebooks, tablets, and smartphones.
Note: Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are the recommended browsers for accessing Brightspace. Apple Safari and Microsoft Edge can cause difficulties.
How do I access Brightspace?
Brightspace's login page can be reached a few different ways:
- Go directly to msunonline.org or northern.desire2learn.com.
- -OR- Navgate to Brightspace through MSU-Northern's main website. Click Current Students in the upper left and then click the Brightspace tab in the upper right.
You'll need to have an MSU-Northern NetID and password set up in order to log in. The Brightspace login page has a brief instructional video with step-by-step instructions for setting up your NetID and password for the first time. You can also view a printable PDF instruction page by clicking on this link.
If you have trouble logging into Brightspace, contact:
Jason Geer at 265-3767 or email@example.com
Brittany Garden at 265-3701 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tips for being successful in online courses
If you've never taken an online course before, please complete the "Brightspace Orientation" self-guided orientation course, which you'll see when you log into Brightspace. This orientation helps you practice navigating the system, completing homework activities, checking your grades, and accessing other important tools.
In Brightspace you can also sign up for email or text notifications to notify you when assignments are due, when grades are posted, or when your instructors
make important announcements. Click here for a short video showing how to set up notifications in Brightspace.
What programs are available online?
Currently, MSU-Northern offers nine degree programs available completely online:
- Associate of Arts with a program of study in General Education
- Associate of Science with a program of study in Business
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Community Leadership
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Applied Science Degree in Business Technology
- Bachelor of Applied Science Degree in Trades Management
- Masters of Education Degree in Instruction & Learning
- Minors in Psychology, Criminal Justice, Community Leadership, Business Technology, Marketing, Accounting, and Small Business Management.