Security & Campus Safety

In an effort to maintain the quality of life we now enjoy on campus, MSU-Northern provides a variety of services and programs to students, faculty and staff

Unreported crime is a criminal’s greatest ally. If you are a victim, witness, or have information about a criminal offense, contact MSU-Northern Facility Services at 390-4308. They in turn will contact the Havre Police Department if needed. If there is no response, please call the Havre Police Department directly at 265-4361 or in emergency situations, call 911. The 911 number will work from any campus phone. Northern does not have a campus police force but works closely with the Havre Police Department to maintain campus safety. To report a sexual assault, please call one of the following administrators:

  • Dean of Student Engagement/Director of Residence Life
    Kim Watson
    (406) 265-3561
  • Human Resource Director
    Kathy Jaynes
    (406) 265- 4147
  • Senior Director of Student Success
    Tracey Jette
    (406) 265-3566
  • Registrar
    Alisha Schroeder
    (406) 265-4191
  • Director of Student Health/Employee Wellness
    Sherry Kegel
    (406) 265-3599
  • The community crisis line at (406) 265-2222

Preventing crime is and reporting crime is everyone’s responsibility. School personnel will assist the student in notifying the proper authorities if so requested.

Northern does not have recognized off-campus student organizations, and it is not the university practice to monitor off-campus criminal activity.

Outside doors to campus buildings are opened and secured by custodians or other designated individuals from the Office of Facility Services. For special events the Office of Facility Services needs to be notified in advance at 265-3755. Residence Halls are controlled by the the Dan of Student Engagement/Director of Residence Life.

All students are expected to follow federal, state and local laws while on the MSU-Northern campus. The campus also has its own policies regarding student conduct (see policy 601.3 - Student Conduct) Minor infractions of this policy that occur in the housing areas are dealt with by the Housing Director. All other infractions are handled by the Campus Judicial Officer as specified in the Student Conduct policy.

The Montana Department of Justice Sexual and Violent Offender Registry (SVOR) provides an up-to-date listing of sexual and violent offenders who are required to register their whereabouts. The SVOR website also provides additional information about preventing sexual assault, using the Registry, law offender types and more.

SVOR Links: Home page, Havre offenders, search page

MSU-Northern Annual Security & Campus Safety Report Click to view or hide Annual Security Report information

Campus Information Click to view or hide Campus information

Drug and Alcohol Information Click to view or hide Drug and Alchol information

Campus Security and Safety Information Click to view or hide Campus Security and Safety information

Information on Sexual Violence Click to view or hide Information on Sexual Violence