Online Learning at MSUN
Where do I find my online courses?
MSU-Northern uses an online learning platform called "Brightspace" for online-only and face-to-face courses. Brightspace allows students to communicate with their instructors and classmates, view course content, complete homework assignments and quizzes, and check their grades. Brightspace can be accessed from a web browser on most internet-enabled devices, including laptops, Chromebooks, tablets, and smartphones.
How do I access Brightspace?
Brightspace can be accessed by going to MSU-Northern's Current Students page, then clicking the Brightspace link.
You'll need to have an MSU-Northern NetID and password set up in order to log in. There's a brief instructional video on the Brightspace login page that has step-by-step instructions for setting up your NetID and password for the first time. You can also view a printable PDF instruction page by clicking on this link.
If you have any trouble logging into Brightspace, contact Jason Geer at 265-3767, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any tips for being successful in online courses?
If you've never taken an online course before, we strongly suggest that you complete the "Adventures in Brightspace" self-guided orientation, which should be available to you once you log into Brightspace. This orientation will help you practice navigating the system, completing homework activities, checking your grades, and accessing other important tools.
Becoming a successful online learner takes initiative and self-discipline. Online learning requires you to read through materials that would be discussed out loud in either a classroom or study group discussion in an on-campus course. You'll also need to develop strong time-management habits to make sure your online assignments get completed on time.
When in Brightspace you can also sign up for email or text notifications, to notify
you when assignments are due, when grades are posted, or when your instructors make
important announcements. Click here for a short video showing how to set up notifications in Brightspace.
What programs are available online?
Currently, MSU-Northern offers nine degree programs available completely online:
- Associate of Arts with a program of study in General Education
- Associate of Science with a program of study in Business
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Community Leadership
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing (RN to BSN completion)
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Applied Science Degree in Business Technology
- Bachelor of Applied Science Degree in Trades Management
- Masters of Education Degree in Instruction & Learning
- Minors in Psychology, Criminal Justice, Community Leadership, Business Technology, Marketing, Accounting, and Small Business Management.