Montana State University-Northern
Financial Aid

Contact Us

Financial Aid Office

P.O. Box 7751
Havre, MT 59501-7751

Cowan Hall Room 213

Office Hours:
  8:00 am to 5:00 pm


MSU-Northern Office Hours:

How to Apply
Step 1:

Apply for your PIN online at *If you are a dependent student, your parents should also apply for a PIN as they will need to sign your FAFSA as well.

Step 2:

Apply online for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at

  • Indicate MSU-Northern’s school code #002533 in the school release section of the application. Don’t forget to send in your signed signature page if you did not sign electronically with your PIN!
Step 3:

The processor sends information electronically to schools listed on the FAFSA and sends a Student Aid Report (SAR) to you.

  • After applying for the FAFSA on the web, you will receive a Student Aid Report in about 3-5 days. The Financial Aid Office will receive this document electronically.
Step 4:

Complete the Student Data form in full! Don’t forget to sign and date the bottom and return to MSU-Northern Financial Aid Office.

Step 5:

If you were picked for Verification by the Federal Processor (you will find this information on your SAR) you will need to do the following:

  • Contact the Financial Aid office at 406.265.3787
  • Refer to your Banner Web MyInfo to view missing requirements
Step 6:

Send all requested documents to MSUN for processing.

Step 7:

MSUN notifies you of your eligibility in the form of an award letter.

  • New students will receive a paper copy in the mail and an Electronic Award Letter.
  • Continuing students will receive an Electronic Award Letter.
Step 8:

You will then accept or decline aid offered.

  • New students will need to either return the signed paper copy to MSUN financial aid office or complete the Electronic Award Letter.
  • Continuing students will need to complete the Electronic Award Letter.

Please Note: There are some additional steps in the process when applying for any of the Federal Direct Loan Programs (Federal Direct Stafford, Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford, and Federal Direct Parent PLUS). Specific information will be included with your financial aid award letter.