|MSUN Home||EventsCalendarA-Z IndexDirectoriesContact Us|
|About MSU-Northern Academics Admissions Campus Life Services|
Student Union Buildings
By 1947 the student body had outgrown the meeting room in East
Hall and the need for a student center was evident. Negotiations began
for the purchase of a recreation building from the Moutt Mine near Columbus.
This one story 110 x 60 foot building was cut into sections and moved
to the NMC campus late in 1947. It was delayed in opening for use because
of lack of funds for repairs. These eventually brought the cost of the
building to $4,127.24. The SUB, as it was called, had both a large and
a small lounge, a cafeteria, store, and offices and several smaller rooms. Never in top
shape and lacking money for extensive remodeling, the building was patched
and painted enough to make it acceptable for use by the fall of 1948.
It remained in use until plans for the new Student Union Building at the
same site caused the building to be moved to the southern edge of the
campus and converted into a construction technology shop. By 1979 the
building, shorn of its decorative porches, was used only for storage.
It was demolished in the mid 1980s to make way for additional parking
and what would become the new Farm Mechanics Building.
Almost 20 years had elapsed and the college had on its campus five buildings that had cost the state little or nothing. Enrollment was growing rapidly and notice had been given of the discontinuation of the lease on the space at the high school. It seemed time to request state funds for the construction of an administration and main classroom building, but troubles were already in the offing.
By 1958 plans were being drawn for a new Student Union Building on the campus. The entire cost of the structure was to be borne by students and financed by increased fees authorized by the students themselves. Max Kuhr of Havre was appointed the architect for the building. Built in almost the same location as the original Student Union Building, it was ready for use in 1961.
Architectural plans indicated that a chapel could be added to the north of the SUB and connected to it. Though the plan was discussed several times, no action was taken.
The new building has a large ballroom and a smaller adjoining open space, an attractive fireside room and lounge, bookstore space and new offices and a snack bar. A smaller second floor houses conference rooms and additional office space. A large basement allowed room for the development of recreational facilities. These were added in 1964. A pin-and-cue area was added in 1965.
|Montana State University-NorthernP.O. Box 7751Havre, MT 59501800.662.6132|
|Copyright © 2004-2013DisclaimerAA/EEO StatementOnline Privacy Statement|