1322 Procurement of Information Technology Equipment and Software
Section 1300: Information Technology
Effective: November, 2016
Review Date: November 2018
Responsible Party: Chief Information Officer
Coordination with Information Technology Services (ITS) is required prior to ordering any Information Technology (IT) related hardware, software or phone equipment.
Information Technology (IT) resources require on-going investment of professional time and effort, and financial resources in order to perform optimally. The total expense to acquire and operate IT equipment typically involves much more than the initial purchase price of hardware or software. The collective costs of running an IT system over its lifespan can include network connections, license renewals, software upgrades, and IT support. Information Technology Services (ITS) is responsible for maintaining the University network, servers, workstations, and peripherals to ensure that quality is maintained at reasonable costs.
All IT equipment and software purchased with University funds remain the property of the University until disposal and media destruction is completed by ITS. (Ref: Montana Board of Regents Policy 1308 – Disposal of Computer Storage Devices)
The Montana State University-issued Purchasing Card (credit card) may NOT be used to purchase IT standardized resources listed below. (Ref: MSUN Purchasing Card Manual & Purchase Card Quick Reference Guide) Non-standard software may be purchased with prior approval of the Chief Information Officer (CIO).
Standardized IT Resources
ITS has established a standard set of equipment for the University. This equipment is reviewed periodically to ensure recommended equipment remains current and beneficial to the University.
The items designated by ITS as standard are:
- Desktop Computers
- Laptop Computers
- Multifunction Printers
- Facsimile Machines
- Storage Units (Disk/Tape Units, Network-attached/Local-attached)
- Networking and Telecommunications Equipment
- Audio/Visual Equipment (portable)
- Presentation Equipment (permanently installed in rooms)
- University Licensed Software
- Any other IT equipment that may be classified as sensitive: assets prone to theft due to marketability and/or portability. (ref: MSU Bozeman Property Management Procedure Manual; State of Montana Operations Manual Policy 335, Capital Assets)
It is acknowledged that standardized IT resources will not always meet the needs of all university employees. These situations may require specialized or customized equipment or software. Reasons might include:Must be a minimum of 8 characters in length
- Specialized software or instructional equipment that determines the choice of hardware
- Special hardware performance requirements
- Employees whose teaching and research responsibilities require an alternative to the standard configuration
- Employees whose specific technical, environmental, or functional job responsibilities require an alternative to the standard configuration
Non-standardized resources are exceptions, and justification for the need of the resources must be documented by the requesting department to the CIO. If approved, ITS will procure the requested non-standard resources on behalf of the requestor once approval is received from the requestor's department and Business Services. ITS will make every reasonable effort to support non-standardized resources, however this support may be limited.
See: Procedure for Procurement of IT Equipment, Software & Phones for the procedure for IT related purchases.
Related: MSU Enterprise IT Finance Policy