1006 MSU-Northern Travel
Section 1000: Campus Policy
Effective: November 9, 1988
Revised: April 2016
Review Date: April 2018
Responsible Party: Vice-Chancellor for Finance and Administration
Travel for Montana State-Northern faculty and staff is divided into two (2) categories:
Operational Travel: Travel directly connected to the operation of the University. Examples are:
- Travel of student teacher supervisor to visit students.
- Field trip travel.
- Athletic team travel - this would include scouting and recruiting.
- Itinerant teaching.
- Travel of faculty and staff to attend meetings as representatives of Montana State University-Northern
- Travel of faculty and staff to conferences and training sessions that will benefit significantly the entire campus community.
- Accrediting Associations
- Travel to attend a conference on a specific subject with benefit accruing primarily to the persons attending.
- Travel to attend conference to deliver a paper, or to participate as a member of a panel.
The funding for these categories of travel will be handled in the following manner:
Operational travel will be allocated as an integral part of a departmental budget. The decisions on use of these funds will rest in the person responsible for that budget.
Professional Growth and Development. The Provost oversees the Professional Development Committee. Faculty and staff make application to the Professional Development Committee and are then awarded by the committee the applicable dollar amount. It should be remembered that the dollar figure allocated may vary from year to year and that additional Departmental funding for travel is often times required.
Applicability. The above policies apply to travel funded from state dollars. Funds from other sources generally carry their own guidelines.
Campus Responsibilities. Care must be taken that classes and/or other responsibilities are properly attended to during the proposed absence from campus regardless of the funding source.Travel requests are kept on file in Business Services.
University-sponsored travel shall follow the state guidelines that are in effect at the time.