College of Arts, Sciences & Education
Liberal Studies Degree
Build the Foundation for a Wide Variety of Careers
A Liberal Studies degree from Montana State University-Northern offers you a versatile and flexible liberal arts education that emphasizes the humanities and social sciences. The program allows you to work in a combination of different disciplines while developing critical thinking and communication skills.
- Receive a well-rounded liberal arts education that includes coursework in history, art, literature, and social sciences.
- Complete advanced coursework in two areas for a concentration within the Liberal Studies degree.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the social, cultural, and historical issues that shape and advance our society.
Bachelor's in Liberal Studies: Solid Preparation for the Future.
- Pursue a liberal arts education at MSU-Northern that emphasizes critical thinking and problem solving across all areas of focus.
- Be ready for the workforce with well-developed written and verbal communications skills that employers today value.
- Focus on advanced areas of study in the humanities and social sciences.
Liberal Studies Program Faculty: Serious Scholars. Student-Focused.
- Study with Liberal Arts professors who use their own ongoing educational pursuits to enhance the classroom setting for their students.
- Learn from qualified educators at MSU-Northern who are published authors in a variety of fields and who focus on sharing that passion for knowledge.
- Establish solid relationships with the Liberal Arts program faculty members who are dedicated to helping students succeed beyond college.
Liberal Studies Courses: Diverse Studies. Consistent Excellence.
Core Competencies – Dive into your MSU-N liberal arts education by developing a solid foundation in reading and writing, math, science, social science, and history. These foundational courses enhance critical reasoning skills.
Social and Cultural Awareness – Explore how history and politics shape the world around us and what role this unique culture plays in the emerging future.
Leadership – Develop your own leadership qualities through a combination of classes, including community leadership, economics, sociology, and speech.
Career Outlook for Liberal Studies Graduates
The Liberal Studies degree is designed for students who seek a liberal arts education with multi-disciplinary coursework, and is not for those who are undecided about a major. A Liberal Studies degree from MSU-Northern prepares you for a career in the arts, writing, public relations, or social services. It also provides an excellent springboard for graduate or law school.
Office: Cowan Hall 306
Phone: (406) 265-4173