Student Loan Exit Counseling
Federal regulations and MSU-Northern Financial Aid policies dictate that borrowers under the Federal Student Loan program must complete exit counseling upon graduation or when dropping below half-time enrollment. This requirement is in place to ensure that you receive essential information regarding your specific loans, balances, and repayment options. Exit counseling answers important questions such as, when and where to make payments, what to do if you are unable to make payments, and what happens if you are in default.
You need exit counseling if you have a:
- Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loan
- Federal Stafford Loan (subsidized or unsubsidized)
- Federal or Direct PLUS Loan for Graduate or Professional Students
- Federal Supplemental Loan for Students
- TEACH Grant
You do not need exit counseling if you have a:
- Federal or Direct PLUS Loan for Parents
- Private and/or Alternative loans (although some lenders may still require exit counseling)
Before you begin, you should gather your financial details (such as monthly living expenses and income). You are also required to provide contact information (names, email addresses, and phone numbers) for yourself, your next of kin, two (2) references who live in the US, and your employer (if possible).
You will NOT be able to save your Exit Counseling and return at a later time! Progress will NOT be saved if you leave your Exit Counseling session. Please plan to spend about 30 minutes for your online Exit Counseling session.
Instructions for accessing Exit Counseling on the Federal Student Aid (FSA) site
- Click the Exit Counseling link above to access Federal Student Aid (FSA) website.
- Click the Log In button on the Student Aid website and sign in to your student account.
- Click the Manage Loans link from the list of options.
- Select Complete Exit Counseling from the options.
- Follow the instructions to complete the Exit Counseling
If you have any questions, please contact us at (406) 265-3787, email@example.com, or stop by our office in Cowan Hall (on the east end of the second floor).