MSUN Home EventsbulletCalendarbulletA-Z IndexbulletDirectoriesbulletContact Us  
Northern's 75th Anniversary Logo  
  About MSU-Northern bullet Academics bullet Admissions bullet Campus Life bullet Services  
   

MSU-N History
University System
Timeline
Leadership
Buildings
Acknowledgments

The 2004-2005 75th Anniversary Celebration

About MSU-Northern

1913-1939

1913 1913-1939
1940-1949
1950-1959
1960-1969
1970-1979
1980-1989
1990-1999
2000-Today
The Thirteenth Legislative Assembly of the State of Montana enacts a law establishing the "Northern Montana Agriculture: and Manual Training School" and authorizes the purchase of two thousand acres of land in the Fort Assiniboinne Reservation. However, no money is appropriated for the operation of the school.
 
1929
Sixteen years after it was first approved, money was authorized by the Twenty-First Session of the Legislative Assembly for the operation of the Northern Montana School. The amount was $40,000.
 
The college first opens its doors September 24 in quarters leased from School District A 16. The space consisted of all three floors of the west section of the then high school building located between 4th and 5th Avenues and 7th and 8th Streets. Formal ceremonies for the opening of the School were held at the high school September 30th. Havre High School circa 1929
Havre High School circa 1929
 
Renovation and remodeling begins at the Park Pumping Station on campus land.
 
1931
The word "college" is substituted for "school" in the third catalog and the common use of "Northern Montana College" comes into existence.

The first commencement ceremony takes place June 9 in the auditorium of the high school building in which the college offices are housed. Twenty-three diplomas are granted to candidates who have completed the requirements for the authorized two-year program.

  1913-1939
1940-1949
1950-1959
1960-1969
1970-1979
1980-1989
1990-1999
2000-Today
1932
NMC is accredited by the Northwest Credit Association.


East Hall
East Hall

Renovation and remodeling of the Park Pumping Station is complete and the building is ready for occupancy. Named East Hall, it houses the departments of art, music, German, engineering drawing (drafting) and mathematics.
 
1933
Work on Pershing Hall begins in February with the hauling of 200,000 bricks from Fort Assinniboine using donated trucks and volunteer labor. Construction on Pershing Hall
Construction on Pershing Hall
 
The first copy of the college newspaper is published under the title of "NoMoCo" in March.
 
1934
Pershing Hall is completed and occupied.
 
1936
Donaldson Hall
Donaldson Hall
The third building on campus, a girls' residence hall (later named Donaldson Hall), is finished and occupied.
 
Next