MSUN Home EventsbulletCalendarbulletA-Z IndexbulletDirectoriesbulletContact Us  
Northern's 75th Anniversary Logo  
  About MSU-Northern bullet Academics bullet Admissions bullet Campus Life bullet Services  
                         

MSU-N History
University System
Timeline
Leadership
Buildings
Acknowledgments

The 2004-2005 75th Anniversary Celebration

About MSU-Northern
1980-1989

1980 1913-1939
1940-1949
1950-1959
1960-1969
1970-1979
1980-1989
1990-1999
2000-Today
Bids are let in March for the new library building.
 
1982

The new library building is opened and named in honor of former NMC President Guy Vande Bogart.

 


Vande Bogart Library
A fund drive for a Farm Mechanics building is begun.
 
1984

The Farm Mechanics building is dedicated. All funding for the construction came from community and corporate supporters.

An Apple computer lab was added to the Math Science Building.

The Northern Alumni Association began a $175,000 remodeling project to restore the main floor of the west wing of Donaldson Hall for campus use.

President James Erickson proposed a new technology building for campus, but the legislature rejected the concept.

Improvements are made to campus outdoor recreational fields.

President Erickson announces his retirement plans for September of 1985.

 
1985


KNMC DJ
 

KNOG increases its power to 10 watts and changes its call letters to become KNMC.
Dr. William Merwin is named President in May.
 
1986

Montana's legislature cuts state budget when Northern's
enrollment is a record high.

Havre Cable TV announces plans to bring PBS TV to Havre.

The Computer Assisted Design (CAD) lab opens in Brockmann Center.

  1913-1939
1940-1949
1950-1959
1960-1969
1970-1979
1980-1989
1990-1999
2000-Today
1987

Legislators consider proposals that would make Northern and Western two year colleges and merge Montana Tech with MSU in Bozeman.

Governance of Montana's five vo techs is transferred to the Board of Regents, creating an 11 unit university system.

President Merwin is forced to cut 22 programs and 12 administrators due to state budget cuts. Amid legislative concerns about program duplication Montana's Board of Regents considers eliminating Northern's elementary education program.

Northern's food service facility is renovated in September to better serve students and additional repairs are made to the Gym.

Northern opens the first on campus child care facility in September with a capacity of 28 children. Northern begins offering a four year bachelor of science degree in nursing.

The Math-Science building is named the Hagener Science Center in memory of L.W. Hagener, long time faculty member and curator of many of the exhibits in the building.

 
1988

Montana's Board of Regents require all campuses to move from a quarter to semester system and adopt a common calendar. They also re instate Northern's elementary education program and consider plans to re organize the College's of Technology.

The KNMC radio station begins broadcasting the NPR public radio signal from KEMC in Billings.

Northern is awarded a joint water quality training grant in cooperation with the State of Montana.

The college opens a grant funded Women's Center to help attract women students to non traditional careers.

As Carillon bells on the gym aged, it became difficult to find replacement parts for them and they are removed (late 80's)

 
1989

President Merwin announces his resignation to accept the Presidency at the State University of New York Potsdam campus.

Frank Kerins, retired Carroll College President, is named interim President at NMC.

Northern begins offering the associate of science degrees in business and computer technology in Great Falls through the Vo-Tech Center.

An automation lab complete with an IBM Scara robot is added to Brockmann Center.

Facing a space shortage at the Malmstrom Air Force Base Higher Education Center Northern leases the former USDA building in Great Falls.

 
Back Next