|MSUN Home||EventsCalendarA-Z IndexDirectoriesContact Us|
|About MSU-Northern Academics Admissions Campus Life Services|
Barely able to handle the 81 students enrolled in the first college class in 1929, the college began renovating and remodeling work at the Park Pumping Station on the campus land. Operational funds in the amount of $13,113.88 were used. The building was ready for occupancy in 1932.
Named East Hall, it housed the departments of art, music, German, engineering drawing (drafting) and mathematics. A caretaker's apartment was located in the basement as were showers and dressing facilities for both men and women. A men's athletic field had been graded in 1931 in front of the building (north) and a women's athletic field to the back. The sub basement to the pump mechanism was blocked off.
The second floor had some kitchen facilities and a fairly large room that doubled as classroom or group meeting space. The building was remodeled several times in the succeeding years to meet varying needs.
With the evacuation of the school district facilities in 1952, East Hall
now served as the administrative building. When Cowan
Hall opened in 1953 the pressure was off East Hall. Several classrooms
remained in use in the building, mostly devoted to art, music, and later
|By 1960 structural flaws in the building made it unsafe and forced discontinued use of all but two rooms. By 1965 it was abandoned for all but storage purposes. Vandalism quickly took its toll. In 1979 the building was demolished, but the original pump was salvaged from the basement of the building, restored, painted and placed on the hill between the Automotive Mechanics Building and Electronics Building as a reminder of the past.|
|Montana State University-NorthernP.O. Box 7751Havre, MT 59501800.662.6132|
|Copyright © 2004-2013DisclaimerAA/EEO StatementOnline Privacy Statement|