Applying for Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) Benefits
All veterans planning to receive education benefits need to apply for benefits online. This can be done at http://benefits.va.gov/gibill/. Follow the next steps to start applying for the education benefits.
- Go to “Apply for Benefits” Select “Apply Online”
Click on the "Apply Online (VONAPP)" link
- Go to “Launch VONAPP and Apply for Benefits”
Click on the "Launch VONAPP and Apply for Benefits" link
- You should now be at the Veterans Online Application site (VONAPP)
Select “Instructions for filling out Applications”
Click on the "Instructions for filling out Applications" button
- After Reading through the Instructions on the application you will be filing, scroll
to the top of the page. Select “Start VONAPP” (Located on the left hand side of the
READ THE INSTRUCTIONS then click on the "Start VONAPP" button
- Follow directions until finished!
- When the application is submitted and you have checked it to ensure accuracy, print the confirmation page and keep this page for your records.
After the successful completion of the online application you will need to fill out an Information Sheet, copies of DD-214’s and NOBE’s if available, and return it to MSU-Northern Office of Veteran Services located in Cowan Hall Room 213 or it can be mailed in at our address located to the left of this page.
*Chapter 33 (The Post 9/11 GI Bill) will need to include a Certificate of Eligibility and Benefits and Recipient Reporting Responsibilities*
In order to receive education benefits while enrolled in classes at MSU-Northern, your enrollment must be certified each term by the Certifying Official in the MSU-Northern Office of Veteran Services. You will need to complete an Education Benefits Certification Form EACH Semester to be certified and complete one every time there is a change in enrollment status. You should expect an approximately six week delay from the date of initial certification until the first benefits check arrives. Please turn in a copy of your class schedule each semester as soon as possible due to the delay so payments will be made on time.