Effective: April 19, 1993
Revised: April 2011
Review Date: April 2013
Responsible Party: Chancellor
As a public institution Montana State University-Northern has a special obligation to allow political appearances by candidates and to be even-handed in its relationship with all candidates seeking political office. The following policy statement for campus appearances of public candidates is directed toward that end.
- Participation in the political process is both a right and obligation of all citizens
and is encouraged on the part of our students, faculty and staff. Faculty members
are encouraged to incorporate balanced political presentations by candidates in classes
- Northern supports the development of "political awareness" groups. These organizations
as well as faculty and staff organizations are free to sponsor appearances by political
candidates in common areas, if they wish, provided that such appearances are approved
as designated in Policy 903.1
- Any such appearances are to be open to the entire student body and not controlled
by a particular candidates operation. All candidates making political appearances
should be made aware that they and their representatives will be barred from political
fundraising and, ensure the campus that their visits will be conducted as speeches
with question and answer sessions and not as campaign rallies. They should also be
aware that all students, faculty and staff as well as the general public are entitled
- Government officials are always welcome on our campus as part of their normal official
duties. If they are visiting as participants in an election campaign, they should
expect to adhere to our campus policy, which is that such appearances are to be only
at the invitation of a recognized student, staff or faculty organization.
- Political campaigning on the campus may not include imposition on the privacy of dormitory residents, interruption of students in academic areas, distribution of written materials in any manner other than by mail or by making an appropriate quantity of such materials available in the Student Union Building for those persons who may wish to pick them up. Campaign posters must bear the imprint of a recognized organization and may be posted only in the Student Union Building or on bulletin boards set aside for student and University notices as indicated in Policy 1021.