State Veteran Tuition Waiver
A veteran who meets all of the following conditions is eligible for a waiver of registration and incidental fees:
- "Honorable" discharge ("General Under Honorable Conditions" will not be accepted) from any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces for service on active duty for other than training purposes.
- Bona fide resident of Montana for fee and tuition purposes.
- At some time eligible for VA education benefits but benefits were exhausted or have expired (VEAP eligible veterans who withdrew a portion of their VEAP contribution before benefits expired are not eligible for the Tuition Waiver).
- Qualifies under A, B, C, D or E below:
- The waiver is available to all otherwise qualified undergraduate and graduate students who served December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946; June 22, 1950 to January 31, 1955; or January 1, 1964 to May 7, 1975.
- The waiver is available to all otherwise qualified students who are working on an initial undergraduate degree and received an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for service after May 7, 1975.
- The waiver is available to all otherwise qualified students who are working on an initial undergraduate degree and received the Southwest Asia Service Medal for service in the Persian Gulf between August 2, 1990 and April 11, 1991.
- Awarded the Kosovo Campaign Medal.
- The veteran served in a combat theatre in Afghanistan or Iraq after September 11, 2001 and received either the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, the Afghanistan Campaign Medal or the Iraq Campaign Medal.
- Qualified recipients may receive the tuition waiver for a total of 12 semesters and must maintain satisfactory progress as established by the Board of Regents for the Montana University System.
- Application to waiver must be made through the MSU-Northern Office of Veteran Services at least two weeks before fee payment for the semester in which the recipient expects to qualify.